1/21/2008

Mac vs. PC

"Spécial dédicace" for Pitchou: he asked me to explain the differences between a Mac and a (Windows) PC. I think that these short advertisements deliver a clear message:



True that you always have to buy extra expensive items to enhance your PC — and I'm not even talking about upgrades…




Security problems are really annoying. Especially when you're subject to viruses:



Gesundheit! 114.000 viruses attacking PCs, none for Macs!




Did you catch the difference?




True that PCs crash pretty often, while Mac rarely do. (It happened only thrice with my iBook G4 in three years, and it was just my fault, not the computer's.) I find it pretty awkward that you've got to click on "Start" in order to turn off your computer… That's pretty dumb!

And as a special treat to my old Muppet friend Martin aka Waldorf, I found an old commercial that's a reference to George Orwell's 1984:




Even Bill Gates says Macs rule:



To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different, it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination and the Macintosh, of all the machines I've ever seen, is the only one that meets that standard. (1984)
Thumbs up!!

It is quite a shame for PCs to have SEVERAL pages on Wikipedia about criticism of Microsoft (the whole company, I mean), while there are no such things for Macs… Well, you can only find this:
Apple has received criticism for not notifying users of system vulnerabilities until a fix is released,[85] and has been accused of pressuring journalists to release their sources, with regards to leaked information about new Apple products.[86] Apple also has received criticism for its iPhone and iPod integration with iTunes for not facilitating creation of software to run and maintain those devices using different applications tools besides iTunes.[Source] Apple also has been investigated and criticized for possible sweatshop conditions in factories in China where contract manufacturers make its iPod.[Source] Apple also has received criticism and two class-action lawsuits at both state and federal level about its iPhone product only allowed service through AT&T and the recent software update that made the iPhone useless if it was to be unlocked using a different tool that cited monopolistic and antitrust allegations between the two companies.[89]
Basically, these are just legal issues. They are indeed to be condemned, but as far as the computers are concerned, it doesn't matter a lot. Quite the contrary, here are the links to criticism on Microsoft products:


To finish with, why wouldn't you read this Uncyclopedia entry on Scientology. Some quotes to give you an idea:

Whoa... I must have been so high.L. Ron Hubbard

I'd say it's horse shit, but I've never seen a horse's ass that big.Oscar Wilde on Space Opera in Scientology

Scientology is the stupidest thing i've ever heard of .99.99999999999% of the population of the universe on scientology

ROFLGod

LMAOBuddha

I once did scientology, but they never called me back.Oscar Wilde

2 comments:

pierre-yves said...

yo! Back from France (haven't broken anything, yay) and I've just read this. I knew these videos "Mac vs. PC" existed but I hadn't seen them all...quite funny really! I guess I would just have to admit that Mac's are the best, but as I haven't tested them yet, I'll refrain from doing so!
When this PC is down, maybe I'll consider purchasing a Mac..no promise though!
Thanks for the article anyway!

Simon said...

Hey! Glad to read you're safe and sound! I'm also glad you turned to the Mac side of the Force: believe me, I tested both operating systems, and Mac is definitely the easiest and the most efficient. (Apart if you like to play a lot of computer games, though: the game designers don't bother creating a Mac version of their CD-Roms. :-()

Here's another series of arguments to convince you: click here.