The date was most suitable: the trade union of the SNCB/NMBS had decided to go on spontaneous one-hour strikes throughout the whole day… Nice.
About twenty students took the train in Namur, others in Mons or Liège, etc. (Because they had already gone back home to avoid carrying their luggage (I mean by that: clothes to wash) all day long.)
I was leaving from Namur. In the train, some of us played that infernal card game called Uno—I like it a lot: I played endless parties with friends when I was younger. The train arrived in the station of Brussels North round 9 pm, then it didn't want to move, for the stations of Brussels Central and South were completely stuck.
By chance, the train to Ghent that we were supposed to take in Brussels South had just stopped on the other side of the platform! In that very train we met some of Prof. Delabastita and Prof. Vandelanotte, accompanied by his newly appointed assistant for the first-year grammar course, Ms Breban.
Then the train took a kind of detour round Brussels, and before you could say "Jack Robinson", we arrived in Ghent. In the relatively kitschy station hall, we met some other students that had come either by car or by other trains.
But the problem was that 4 students who took the train in Mons had suffered the effects of the strike in Brussels, too, and after about quarter of an hour, I was asked to stay in the hall with Mr. Romero and Mr. Van Mensel, just because I was able to get in touch with the delayed students… Anyway, it was a good opportunity for me to talk in English and mostly in Dutch with both assistants. Meanwhile, the group had gone to the museum and started to visit the exhibition, British Vision.
The four students from Mons finally arrived, then we walked to the museum and several minutes later we joined our fellow students, divided into two groups for the guided tour of the exhibitions.
Our guide showed us some of the greatest paintings that were exposed, great masterworks by famous British names such as William Blake, Francis Bacon, John Constable, James W.M. Turner, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, and many others. I wasn't particularily struck by those pieces of artwork, but it was still nice to see them "pour de vrai".
We got out of the Museum voor schone kunsten round 1.15 pm, then we took the bus to go to the North of the town, where we were free to do get some food. I bought a pack of chips in a typical frietkot: the chips were nice, but the packs weren't big at all… (But we're in Flanders, not in Morlanwelz.) And the fried cervelas was good, too. After that, some of us started interviewing people about their dialectattitudes: we were asked to do that as an exercise for Algemene taalwetenschap. Here are the questions (in Dutch):
1. Spreekt u dialect en/of Standaardnederlands en/of een tussenvorm (bv. tussentaal).After that, we walked towards the British Innovations exhibition at the Museum voor Industriële Archeologie en Textiel. It was quite interesting to go back to the past and see old machines and inventions, as well as ancient texts and objects coming directly from the industrial revolution.
– Indien ja: waar, wanneer en met wie?
– Indien geen dialect, waarom niet?
2. Vindt u dialect
– mooier dan Standaardnederlands? Ja/Nee
– nuttiger dan Standaardnederlands? Ja/Nee
3. Mag, volgens u, dialect op de radio en de televisie?
– Waarom wel/niet?
– In welke programma's? Met of zonder ondertitels?
4. Kunt u twee typische uitdrukkingen (+ betekenis) in u dialect geven?
5. Waar komt u vandaan?
When we were done with this museum, those who had already done all of their interviews for Dutch could leave us to go to the station. But as I didn't want to leave so early, I stayed with a group of more than a dozen of students, plus Mr Delabastita, Mr Vandelanotte and Mr Van Mensel. We stopped at a café and we all had a drink.
But it was already 8 pm, and we had to take a tram to go to the station. There, we found out that the 6.27 pm train was about 20 minutes late. But in total, it was more than 40 minutes late, for the Oostende-Eupen train arrived at 7.05… "What a kerfuffle!" We took that train, going to Brussels. There, we caught another (delayed) train to go to Namur. It arrived in 9.05, so that I managed to catch the 9.10 bus to go back to my student room.
What a day!
[EDITED ON 28 OCTOBER:]
I wrote a blog entry on germ@namur about this excursion. Please check it out!
No comments:
Post a Comment