2/22/2008

You're Only Second Rate

When I was younger, I used to watch Disney movies all the time. Among those, The Return of Jafar, sequel of Aladdin. My point here was to show you one of my favourite songs, Tu n'es qu'un amateur, but first it would be better to watch the original version, sung by Jonathan Freeman, voice of Jafar:



Lyrics:

I must admit, your parlor tricks are amusing
I bet you've got a bunny under your hat
Now here's your chance to get the best of me
Hope your hand is hot
C'mon, clown, let's see what you've got
You try to slam me with your hardest stuff
But your double whammy isn't up to snuff
I'll set the record straight
You're simply out of date
You're only second rate!

You think your cat's a meanie, but your tiger's tame
You've got a lot to learn about the genie game
So for your education I'll reiterate
You're only second rate!

Men cower at the power in my pinky
My thumb is number one on every list
But if you're not convinced that I'm invincible
Put me to the test
I'd love to lay this rivalry to rest

Go ahead and zap me with the big surprise
Snap me in a trap, cut me down to size
I'll make a great escape
It's just a piece of cake
You're only second rate!
You know, your hocus-pocus isn't tough enough
And your mumbo-jumbo doesn't measure up
Let me pontificate upon your sorry state
You're only second rate!

Zaba-caba-dabra!
Granny's gonna grab ya!
Alakazam-da-mus
And this thing's bigger than the both of us
So spare me your tremendous scare
You look horrendous in your underwear
And I can hardly wait to discombobulate
I'll send ya back and packing in a shipping crate
You'd make a better living with a spinning plate
You're only second rate!

And now, here's the French version, Tu n'es qu'un amateur. The Genie's French voice is performed by the famous Richard Darbois, and Féodor Atkine (incidentally, he dubs Hugh Laurie in the series House, MD) dubs Jafar:



Lyrics:

Je dois admettre que tes p'tits tours sont amusants
J' parie qu'il y a un lapin sous ton chapeau
Mais aujourd'hui, ton mauvais numéro,
Je le vois perdant
Vas-y clown, montre-moi tes cartes.

Tu voudrais me faire retourner en enfer
Mais ta guerre éclair, je la réverbère.
Ta folie des grandeurs
N'est pas à la hauteur,
Tu n'es qu'un amateur.

Tu t' prends pour un tigre
Mais je t'amadoue.
Par les mathématigres,
Je matte les matous.
Ta folie des grandeurs
N'est pas à la hauteur,
Tu n'es qu'un amateur.

Quel effroi, quand je lève le petit doigt,
Quelle frousse que j' vous écrase tous d'un coup de pouce,
Si tu es convaincu
De rester invaincu,
Faut en faire ton deuil,
Notre duel continue jusqu'au cercueil.

Étonne-moi !
Branche-moi !
Électrocute-moi !
Au fond d'un tonneau
Percé de couteaux,
Je sauverai ma peau.
Ça n' sera pas du gâteau
Mais je l' ferai, mon poteau.

Tes p'tits tours de passe-passe
Sont pas très efficaces.
Tu n'es qu'un orgueilleux
Qui se prend pour un dieu
Ta folie des grandeurs
N'est pas à la hauteur,
Tu n'es qu'un amateur.

Zabacabadabra
Grand-mère t'attrapera
Et Abracadabra,
J' suis plus grand que l'Himalaya

Tu peux donc trembler devant moi
Sans perdre le bas de ton pyjama
Et si dans la panique,
Tu casses ta mécanique,
Ne me dis pas sans cesse,
Quand tu passes à la caisse :
"J'ai perdu, çà m'inquiète !",
"J' comprends pas, çà m'embête !",
"J' suis pas dans mon assiette !"

Such a song translation must be particularly difficult, because you have to take into account not only the usual features (prosody, rhymes, wordplays), but also the shots themselves, e.g. when you have "It's just a piece of cake", you see the cake, and in French it's rendered as "Ce n's'ra pas du gâteau".

1 comment:

pierre-yves said...

about what you said last, it also shows that sometimes you have to drop the literal meaning for the greater good, here it is actually the opposite (it's just a piece of cake vs. pas du gâteau)... that article could have come in handy for my class, pity I already did something about the first song of Aladdin... Anyway it was nice to hear this, I've never seen the sequel to Aladdin :(