Jingle bells,
Batman smells
Robin laid an egg,
The batmobile lost a wheel
And the Joker got away!!!
The French translation is crappy:
L'horrible chauve-sourisAt first, I didn't understand the second part, but I managed to find it:
Et son bouffon Robin
n'ont qu'à bien se tenir
car le Joker est libre !
Crashing through the roof,Of course, the Joker (voice of Mark Hamill) was the only one who could have thought of hijacking a Christmas tree…
on a one horse open tree,
busting out I go,
laughing all the waayyyyyyy hahhhhaaaahaaa!
It's a Christmas-special episode of Batman: The Animated Series: Christmas with the Joker.
I wondered what was meant with the third line. Here's what I found on a serious website:
lay an egg (American, informal)
to fail to make people enjoy or be interested in something.Our first two sketches got big laughs, but the next two laid an egg.
Good to know that. I also found, on another website, the (probable) origins of the phrase.
I also wondered when I read "on a one horse open tree". What could it mean? I looked it up on the Internet, and the first thing I found was this: it can come from Dashing through the snow on a one-horse open sleigh, and altered for the purposes of the Joker song. It's in fact the original lyrics of Jingle Bells. Of course. How silly am I!
Dashing through the snow
In a one horse open sleigh
O'er the fields we go
Laughing all the way
Bells on bob tails ring
Making spirits bright
What fun it is to laugh and sing
A sleighing song tonight
Jingle bells, jingle bells,
Jingle all the way;
Oh! what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh.
No comments:
Post a Comment